Allium in a Pot

You will remember last year, in the fall, I planted quite a variety of spring flowering bulbs in pots, set them out for the winter, and hoped for the best.  And in the spring what did I get?  Nothing.  Not one bulb sprouted.  But, I am tenacious.  I do not let any failure deter me.  So today I planted allium. These were a birthday gift last month and I finally got them planted today.  The instructions on the box said they could be planted anytime September through December.


I started with this ten inch clay pot and placed a lava rock over the drainage hole in the center.


These were a birthday gift from Bob and Bette.  Beautiful Allium.  I love them and I cannot wait to enjoy them in the spring.  They are a Miracle Gro product.  I have had wonderful results with anything from Miracle Gro, so I have all good faith these will be spectacular.


The bag inside contained a mix of 15 bulbs of varying colors and sizes and shapes all in a shredded wood packing.


I filled the pot about one third full of Miracle Gro potting soil and then just dropped the bulbs on top. Adding the shredded wood packing certainly will not hurt anything.  I did not add all of it, but if some ended up in the pot I did not worry about it.


I topped off the pot with more Miracle Gro potting soil and set it on the tall cocktail table on the deck.  I did not compact the soil in the pot.  We are forecast to receive rain next Monday.  I think I will let the bulbs acclimate and get their first watering next week.  Too much water and they will rot.  I may have been guilty of over-watering the bulbs last year.

So, if you are still wanting to plant spring bulbs, it's not too late.  Get them in the ground or in pots and enjoy all the splendid color in the spring.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig