Original Chex Mix Recipe from 1952

Chex Mix recipes today are not at all what they were when I was a kid.  The Original Chex Mix Recipe from 1952 included Wheat Chex and Rice Chex cereal and Planter's peanuts and was positively delicious.  I'm not knocking the Chex Mix recipes of today.  I'm just saying that the original was delicious and uncomplicated.  I made it for our Thanksgiving celebration this year and I would like to share the recipe with you today.


It all starts with butter.  Use real butter, not margarine.  Use the very best butter you can find.  I prefer Kerrygold pure Irish butter in all my cooking.


To the butter we will add Worcestershire, salt and garlic salt.  I used garlic salt with parsley, but you can use regular garlic salt.


Here are all our ingredients measure out and ready for the pan.


Melt the butter in the baking sheet in the preheated oven.


Stir in the Worcestershire sauce.


To the baking sheet, add two cups Rice Chex and two cups Wheat Chex and one-half cup peanuts.  (I used Corn Chex instead of Wheat Chex because I could not find Wheat Chex.  Either will work). Sprinkle with one-quarter teaspoon salt and one-eighth teaspoon garlic salt and mix well.  Heat 30 minutes in 300 degree oven, stirring every 10 minutes.  Cool.  It is best after it has cooled.

Also, FYI - this recipe does not double well.  So you may have to make two small batches rather than trying to do one large.  I have tried doubling it a few times and I am never pleased with how it turns out.

Try this simple recipe for Chex Party Mix.  I think you will agree that it truly is the very best.



A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig