The Breakfast, ... and Lunch of Champions

We all know the number of calories we consume during the holiday season can be, ... well, ... staggering.  A little nibble here, a cookie there, and the next thing you know you have consumed well over 2000 calories per day which is generally recommended to maintain weight.  I know I am certainly guilty of it.  Weight issues are something I have dealt with since I turned forty.  I went to sleep the night of my fortieth birthday and woke up forty pounds heavier the next day.  And I have struggled with my weight since.  So here is what I have begun just this year as a way to keep calorie intake in a more normal range during the holiday season.  It is quite simple.  Almost too simple.  I am watching what I eat at meal time keeping in mind that I will be surrounded by snacks and cookies and cakes and all sorts of tantalizing treats nearly every day.  If I eat less during meals, then I won't feel so guilty when someone shows up with a box of chocolates and asks if I want one, ... or two.  I can enjoy a little chocolate knowing that I had a small garden salad for lunch and not the burger or slice of pizza or the heavy plate full of savories from the hot food bar like I might normally enjoy.

My daily breakfast
To be quite honest, this is breakfast every day, all through the year.  Red grapefruit and a slice of toast.  So this will continue past the holiday season.  I usually buy a 7-grain or higher bread.  The slice here is a 7-grain bread from Fiber One.  No butter.  No dressing of any kind.  I know it sounds unappealing, but it's really not that bad.  And I have a healthy one-half cup serving of grapefruit.  It may even be closer to three-quarters of a cup.  But that's OK.  That's about 52 calories.  Grapefruit makes you feel full due to its high fiber content.  It is low in sodium so it helps flush out extra water weight.  Full of Vitamin C.  I could go on but you get the idea.


For lunch, this delicious salad of coarsely chopped iceberg lettuce and a large, coarsely chopped tomato.  I put in a half of a lemon to squeeze over just before having this for lunch.  I will add a little salt and pepper and a splash of some variation of a vinaigrette and lunch is served.  Other things I've tried for lunch is an avocado, diced, with plenty of fresh salsa over the top, a squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper.  That is incredible.  Or a simple salad of chopped tomatoes and mozzarella with a little olive oil drizzled over.  There are lots of ways you can cut back on the calories at mealtime and allow yourself to enjoy some of the decadent delights of the season.  For me, this is the way to go. I'm going to eat the desserts and treats anyway.  I know that.  So I'm a little more careful during the daily meals.  I have not stepped on the scales since I started this new regimen, but I can already feel a difference when buttoning the pants in the morning.  So I know it is working.  Have a try at it and see if it works for you too.  I'm pretty sure it will.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig