Bathroom Storage, ... Or the Lack Thereof

Living in a mid-century house is not without its challenges.  The lack of ample storage space can be frustrating.  But with a little ingenuity, you can work around it.  Our house on Dewey Street was built in 1947.  The closets, of which there a few, are small and offer very little storage.  And the bathrooms are very small and offer no storage.  The upstairs bath is sink - commode - tub/shower and enough floor space to turn so that you can use any of the three. There was a small "medicine cabinet" (that's what they called them back then) over the sink which we removed years ago and replaced with a large plate glass mirror which covers the entire upper portion of the wall behind the sink.  The sink was replaced with a pedestal sink which sits on a large wooden stand painted black.  The stand has a drawer which affords a small amount of storage and a shelf on the bottom which offers a little more storage.  We eventually installed a small wooden cabinet over the commode several years ago for added storage.


Here on the bottom shelf of the sink stand, I have added some organization by utilizing these little sea-grass baskets.  Unfortunately, there is no place to store a bottle of mouthwash anywhere other than on this shelf.  I do not like this.  I do not want to see it and I do not want guests to see it.


On a recent trip to The Container Store, I found these little plastic bottles with flip-tops.  I thought these would be the perfect solution to storing the mouthwash.


I washed them in warm, soapy water and rinsed them thoroughly.  Then I filled them with the contents of the mouthwash bottle.  Admittedly they did not hold the entire amount in the bottle, but I filled them to the top and then I stored the original bottle of mouthwash in the hall closet.  I can refill them as needed.


These have the flip tops which make it easy to dispense the mouthwash into a small disposable cup.


When they are not in use, they tuck easily away in the wooden wall cabinet we installed over the commode.


The cabinet has a front door which folds down.  When closed, it conceals the mouthwash bottles and other grooming accessories.  You see another of the sea-grass baskets sitting atop this cabinet for organization.  Without a complete renovation of the upstairs, this is simply the space we have.  We looked at expanding the bathroom but it would have taken up an enormous amount of space in the spare bedroom, so we decided against it.  The addition of this cabinet has helped, so we have come up with a solution that I think works.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig