Keeping a Mending Box

Everybody needs to have a mending box.  That goes for men as well as women.  I'm not suggesting that we all possess sewing skills of those in Paris fashion houses.  But the basic tools are necessary in any home in case you are missing a button or a hem needs repair.  I had all of my sewing utensils in a large plastic box forever.  Over the years it got a little crowded in there, so I upgraded to two smaller boxes.  Take a look.


I purchased this black plastic box many years ago.  I suppose most people would use this as a recipe box or a holder for large index cards with names and addresses or as a way to manage household projects or renovation.  I used it as a mending box and it served its purpose well.  I found the little graphic online with the picture of a man sewing and printed it on a large Avery #5164 label.  You see it has seen better days.


I flipped up the top and took a look inside and, as you can see, this has gotten completely out of control.  How could anyone find anything in here?  There is so much stuff crammed inside that it literally spills out when you open the top.  I just could not take it anymore.


I removed the entire contents of the box.  Then I thought, "how did all of that fit in there?"  I have everything one could need.  It just needed to be better organized.


Enter these two blue boxes I bought at CVS some few months ago.  I wasn't certain at the time I bought them what their purpose would be.  I just knew they had a purpose.  And now I have discovered what that purpose will be.


When fully opened, the inside of each box offers quite a generous amount of space.


Each has a handy mesh insert with an elastic edge which allows easy access for small items.


There is also a single band of black elastic on the opposite side of the mesh insert which is very useful in securing items.


In the first box I used the left side with the mesh insert to hold spools of thread and the band on the right to hold a little emergency sewing kit.


In the bottom, all different sizes and colors of threads.


Here is a look at the entire inside of the box once I was done.


In the second box I was able to fit most of the rest of the contents of the original mending box.  Extra shirt buttons, needles and a hem gauge in the top.


More buttons, needles, safety pins and straight pins, Heat Bond adhesive and a couple pair of small mending scissors in the bottom.


A look inside the second box with the remaining items.  The only two items from the original black box which were not transferred to these boxes was a large glass container, which was empty, and a small, rectangular bag with accessories for an old Brother sewing machine which is no longer in my possession.


Both boxes are outfitted with locking mechanisms and keys.  I will not be locking either, so the keys are of no use to me.  However, should these boxes find a different use in the future, I dropped each set of keys in the bottom of each box just on the chance things change down the road.


Finally, I found the perfect location for the mending boxes on the shelving unit in the basement which holds the sewing machine and the serger.

Little upgrades like this can make life so much less stressful.  Who wants to fight with a mending box that is a jumbled mess and not be able to find what you are looking for when you can have things nice and orderly like this.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig