Some Food Preparation During the Snowstorm

Along with everyone else in and around the District, I went to the grocery store early Friday morning to pick up at least some essentials.  We had no idea how long the storm would last and then how many days we would be relegated to the house.  Better to be prepared.  I have been in the kitchen over the past four days and I will share with you some of what I have prepared,


These breaded chicken cutlets were already in the freezer.  We had two versions; chicken cordon bleu and chicken with broccoli and cheese,  I take these for lunch sometimes.  I do 4 at a time on a baking sheet covered with foil and sprayed with Pam Cooking Spray.  I use the grilling spray.  Place them in a 375 degree oven for 42 minutes.  I like to dress them up a little.  Read on.


This time with sliced Swiss cheese.  I normally order sliced cheese from the deli but it was very early in the morning when I arrived at Giant on Friday and I did not have time to wait for the deli to open. The store was very crowded and I decided it was more important to move through the store with great efficiency.  This was not the time for a leisurely shopping trip.


I did four cutlets on a baking sheet, then removed them from the oven.  I placed a single slice of Swiss cheese atop each cutlet and placed the sheet back into the oven allowing the residual heat to melt the cheese over each cutlet.


About 4 - 5 minutes later, the cheese was sufficiently melted, so I removed them and allowed them to cool.


A light sprinkling of sesame seeds before the cheese completely melted.  I like sesame seeds and use them frequently when cooking.


Here, fully cooled and ready to be reheated for lunch or dinner.


And here, heated through and on a lunch plate.  Quite delicious.


Another favorite, a good old BLT on toasted white bread, albeit low-carb white bread.  It was still delicious.  This is the simplest of all recipes.  Hormel bacon, cooked crisp, fresh sliced plum tomatoes with a light sprinkling of salt, and a fresh leaf of iceberg lettuce.  The sandwich was dressed with Duke's Mayonnaise on both slices of bread.  Incredibly delicious.


Finally, a treat just for me!  Caviar over cream cheese on artisan crackers from World Market. Traditionally caviar is served over creme fraiche on blini.  But that doesn't mean it has to always be served that way.  I prefer it this way.

Winter is still with us and there is certainly always the chance for more snowy weather which may keep you inside for a few days.  Decide what you like the best and keep those items on hand.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig