A Little Bit of Spring After Our Snowstorm

While running errands this past weekend, I found these beautiful pink and white tulips.  After our recent extreme winter weather here in the mid-Atlantic, I felt we needed a little bit of spring to renew our spirit.  I like to surround myself with beautiful things whenever and wherever possible.


I found these in the floral department at Giant.  The pink tulips were extraordinary.  However, the petals were fully open on most of them.  You want to buy them when the petals are still tightly closed.  They also had white tulips and those were were very fresh with tightly closed petals.  So I got one pink and one white.


I always enjoy checking out logos and branding phrases companies choose to identify their products. The "Simply Enjoy" logo is the Giant Products house brand, which I think is very effective.  I really like these oval stickers they designed for the cellophane over-wrap on their fresh cut flowers.  "Life is delicious.  Simply Enjoy!"  Simple and very effective.


The flowers removed from the cellophane, I set about arranging them so they were appropriately combined.  I did not especially want all pink on one side of the vase and all white on the other.


I layered them until I got just the look I wanted.  During the process of arranging the colors, it is important to also remove the leaves lower on the stems.  You do not want these leaves sitting in the water inside the vase.  Once you have removed these leaves, you will need to cut the stems with a pair of garden shears or gardening scissors and then immediately plinnge the stems into the water. That way they can start to drink in the fresh water in the vase.  This will help keep them fresher longer.


Plenty of fresh tepid water in the vase and then in with the tulips.  A really beautiful arrangement that should last for at least a week.

P OS T  S C R I P T

Most times when buying fresh cut flowers, you will receive plant food in powder form in one of these little packets.


My suggestion to you is, use this.  In the past I have added granulated sugar in the water.  I have also added a drop of bleach to retard bacterial growth.  These little packets contain precisely what the flowers need, so now, I just use them.  If you want to add the contents of the packet to the water and a drop of bleach, that will be fine.  But when I say a drop of bleach, it must just be a drop.  Don't even add a quarter teaspoon in an average sized vase.  One drop from an eye dropper will be enough.

I hope you will bring spring into your home with a vase of tulips or some other beautiful spring blooming flowers.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig