Storing Red Sauce

I recently made red sauce which was quite delicious.  I call it "red" sauce because it is tomato based but is not just to be served with pasta or used as pizza sauce but is interchangeable.  It works well with either.  I used it on a pizza so there was plenty leftover.  I wanted to save it for future use, so I decided to place the leftover sauce in the freezer.  Here is how I transferred it to a freezer bag with the greatest of ease.


Here, our bowl of beautiful, freshly made sauce.  This is not a meat sauce.  Lots of tomatoes, red wine and other savory ingredients.  But no oregano.  Most red sauce recipes call for oregano, but not this one.


I use Ziploc bags.  I especially like these with the zipper type enclosures.  I'm not such a big fan of the bags with the slider enclosures.  This is the gallon size easy-open freezer bag.


I transferred the sauce from the glass bowl to a measuring cup.


Next, I placed the Ziploc bag inside of a tall plastic pitcher which is used as an iced tea pitcher during the summer months.  It is very easy to open the top of the bag when you use this method.


Next, pour in the sauce.  You can see very clearly in this picture that the top of the bag has stayed open inside the pitcher.


In it goes.  The bag is staying open.  Be sure that the bottom of the bag is sitting firmly on a solid surface.  If not, it will slip down inside the pitcher and the top of it will likely close and that will make a mess.  It is best if you use a pitcher or container that allows the top of the bag to extend just a little above the top.


Here we are with the entire contents of the measuring cup inside he freezer bag.  A tiny bit splashed on the size of the bag, but that is OK.  That is why we use the bags.  Once you remove the bag from the pitcher is will be completely clean and can be put away in the pantry.


Our red sauce in the bag and sealed.


And finally, in the freezer, waiting for pizza or pasta night.

I hope you find this method of transfer handy and use it the next time you are in a similar situation in your kitchen.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig