Bird food, Suet and Woodpeckers

Last weekend was quite lovely here.  A little rain late on Sunday but overall  a great weekend to be out of doors.  So we seized the moment and spent a little time in the yard.  See what we did below.


I love this new suet feeder.  Such an improvement over those little green epoxy coated cages on a chain.  When I saw this I knew I had to have it.  And I knew I had exactly the perfect spot for it.


A suet holder is no good without suet cakes, so I picked up some of those too.  Believe it or not, the Woodpecker suet cake actually does attract woodpeckers.  I had a real cutie at the feeder Saturday afternoon.  But he wouldn't stay still long enough for me to get a picture.  Or maybe he was camera shy.


So here is the feeder loaded with a suet cake.  You just lift the gray wooden piece on top and drop in the suet cake.

As I said earlier, I knew I had the perfect spot for this feeder.  It works perfectly on this post in one of the gardens which has a tiny sparrow house on top.


In addition to suet, we needed some fresh seed blend for the feeders.  I thought this cardinal songbird blend was perfect.


I have two of these feeders which I have had for several years.  They are starting to show a little age, but they are still functional.  So we will use them for at least one more season.


As is evidenced in this photo, we have quite a bit of winter cleanup ahead of us in the upcoming spring months.


The two feeders in the bird garden in the back yard just off the patio.  You may think "John needs to paint that metal bird feeder holder".  Actually, I am letting the paint slowly erode because I want it to have a rustic look.


This feeder in the front yard is holding up quite well.  It received a hearty supply of the cardinal songbird blend too.


This feeder is usually later to attract.  I think it is the location.  It is kind of tucked away in the ivy. There is more activity in the front of the house so I think that is a deterrent also.  They will eventually find their way to this feeder.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig