Onion and Sweet Pepper Quiche

Here is a new and delicious recipe for all to try.  I have had some creative genius over the last week while I have been inside due to the snow storm.  Here is my latest creation - Onion and Sweet Pepper Quiche.


You will need - 1 tablespoon butter, 1 cup diced onion, 1 cup diced yellow, red or orange pepper (or a combination of all three to equal 1 cup), 3 extra large eggs, 1/3 cup heavy cream, 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, 1 ready to bake 9 inch pie crust.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).  Over medium heat, melt butter in a large dutch oven.


Be certain the butter is completely melted but not browned.  We do not want the butter to brown.


Add diced onion and pepper and cook slowly, stirring occasionally.


Cook until onions and peppers are soft, 3-4 minutes.  Do not brown the onions and peppers.  Once they are translucent and the butter has been absorbed, remove from the heat.


In a glass bowl, add three extra-large eggs.  Cage free eggs if possible.  Or fresh eggs from a local farmer.


To the eggs add 1/3 cup heavy cream.


Whisk the eggs and cream thoroughly with a hand whisk.


Add 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese.


Stir in completely.


Next we prepare the crust.  I love these Giant brand pie crusts which are rolled rather than folded.  I cannot tell you how much easier they are to work with than the folded style.  There are two pie crusts in each box individually wrapped in cellophane.  I take out the one I will be working with and let it come to room temperature.  If I am going to use the second crust within the week, I place it in the refrigerator.  If not, it goes into the freezer.


For this recipe I am using an 8" x 8" glass baking dish rather than the traditional 9" pie plate.  I placed the pie crust inside the baking dish and, using my fingers, conformed it to fit snugly inside the dish.


Using a butter knife, I cut around the outside of the baking dish leaving a very small amount of dough along the side of the baking dish.  I am not a fan of the crusts on most quiches.  I like a little on the bottom but usually there is too much crust for me, so I do it this way.


Spread sauteed onion and pepper mix in bottom of glass baking dish over the uncooked pie crust.


Pour egg and cheese mixture over the onions and peppers.  Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until eggs have set.


Straight from the oven, lovely golden and puffed.
And what do you get?  This most beautiful onion and sweet pepper quiche.  Let cool for 5-10 minutes.  It will deflate substantially.


To serve, we plated a square of quiche onto a small hors d'oeuvre plate which was first sprinkled with a dash of kosher salt and cracked black pepper.  I prefer this method of adding salt and pepper which really kicks up the flavor since no seasoning was added to the egg mixture.


On top, a dollop of sour cream and serving of caviar.  I like to add a little sour cream to any style quiche.  I do not always add caviar, but when I have it, I find it is a nice accompaniment.


You see here that with every bite you collect a little of the salt and cracked black pepper from the plate adding a delightful zing to this delicious quiche.

So there you have it.  A wonderful and delicious dish that you will be happy to serve to your family. Even your husband because, yes, ... real men DO eat quiche!!!!!

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig