A One Pound Block of Cheddar

I rarely if ever buy shredded cheese at the market.  In the process of shredding at the factory, cellulose is added to the drum in which the cheese is processed.  This aids in keeping the shredded cheese from clumping together in the package and making it difficult to use in cooking.  I prefer to purchase a block of cheese and prepare it in a way that I will use it at home.  Take a look at how I did just that recently in my kitchen.


I started with a one pound block of medium cheddar cheese.  Any brand will do.  Of course, the better the brand, the better the taste in whatever you are cooking.


I wanted to prepare half of this block of cheese in shreds and the other half in cubes.  So I measured the block lengthwise which measured 5-1/2".


Using a sharp knife, I marked the center line on the top and bottom sides of the block.


Then, using a larger knife, I sliced the block in half.


That gave me two blocks of exactly the same width from which to work.


One of these blocks I sliced in half lengthwise.


I then set about cutting each of these blocks into sticks, which I then cut again perpendicular to make cubes.


The other block I cut in half.  These would go through through the food processor using the grater attachment.


I found they were just slightly too large to fit in the chute on top of the food processor, so I trimmed off just a small bit on each corner.


Now they fit just perfectly.


Using the plunger, I turned on the food processor and pressed the block of cheddar down on top of the grating blade (you see the blade inside of the food processor bowl).


A few second later, a bowl of wonderful shredded cheddar cheese.  No cellulose added.


In very short order, I had a lovely board of cubed and shredded cheese from a one pound block.  The cubed cheese is great for a snack or to put out on a fruit and cheese board for company.  The shredded cheese is perfect to use in cooking.


Later that same day I made this dish of wonderful oven baked scrambled eggs.  What better to put on top than a sprinkling of my freshly grated cheddar cheese.  This recipe is so incredibly simple.  Two eggs, scrambled, with a little salt and about a tablespoon of water.  Into a 350℉ oven for five minutes.  The eggs will be perfectly set.  Add the cheese and place the dish back in the oven until the cheese is melted.  Using a flat spatula, slice down the middle and then roll up each egg to resemble a Swiss roll.

If you were having a gathering, you could do this several days in advance and store the cheese in the refrigerator until ready to use.


No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig