Repurposing Spaces

At AHWJN, we are constantly looking for new and better ways to utilize the space that is available to us.  Small spaces seem to be my specialty.  I often find myself living in small spaces, so I am rather good at finding good storage solutions out of necessity.  Personally, I prefer living in small spaces.  It is comforting to me.  There is something about being in a small space that is calming.  Let me show you an area that I repurposed recently.


This is a drawer in the bottom of the entertainment center in the living room.  When I first moved into the apartment, I was searching for space anywhere I could find it.  It was not clear in the first days and weeks where everything would go.  That was all figured out as time went on.  I needed a place to store the vacuum attachments and batteries and this drawer seemed as appropriate as any place.


I decided after some time that I wanted to use the drawer for other storage.  That meant the vacuum attachments and batteries would have to be relocated.  But where?  I remembered that I bought one of these clear storage containers with a black top at Ace Hardware so I thought I'd go back and get another in which I would store these attachments.  This matching container was perfect.  It was smaller than the original one and I thought it would certainly be able to accommodate the vacuum attachments.


Indeed it did.  Everything fit inside just perfectly.


I placed the new, smaller bin on top of the original larger bin.  They fit perfectly in this corner of the entry closet.  The large bin on the bottom is actually my tool bin.  When I moved in I bought a standard toolbox with the hinged top.  That did not work for me.  Those toolboxes never work for me.  There is never enough room for everything I want to store in them and the top won't close and latch and I'm constantly fighting with them.  Forget it!  It's not worth it to me to go through all of that.  This large, clear plastic bin works much better.  I can take the top off and get inside of it and see what I've got.  A much better solution.  You may want to try this yourself if you find the traditional "toolbox" is not working for you.


I used the drawer to store my watch case.  I do not yet have all of my watches from storage, so you can see that there are lots of pillows awaiting a watch.  I think this will work much better here and I can actually access the vacuum attachments much more easily from the bin than I could from this drawer.  There is plenty of room left in the drawer, so I may add my sunglass case.

Finding space for all of our possessions can be challenging, but, ... you love a challenge!  I am certain we will return to this topic of repurposing space again in the future.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig