Creamed Corn in a Crock Pot

Today I have the most delicious recipe for you.  It is a recipe for creamed corn that is made in a crock pot.

INGREDIENTS:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup finely diced onion
6 cups corn kernels (2 - 29 oz. cans, drained)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon organic honey
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese
1 cup 2% Greek yogurt

INSTRUCTIONS:

Melt one tablespoon butter in skillet over medium-high heat.  Add olive oil and onion and cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.  Do NOT let the onions brown.  Remove from the heat early if necessary.  Transfer onions to the crock pot.

Add corn, cream, honey, salt and pepper and stir until combined.  Cube the cream cheese in approximately 1" inch cubes and cube the remaining butter and add to the top of the corn mixture in the pot.  Do not stir.  Cover the crock pot and cook on high for two to three hours.

Uncover and stir until the butter and cream cheese are combined.  Stir in the Greek yogurt.  Using a large spoon, remove one quarter to one third of the corn mixture from the pot to the bowl of a food processor.  Process the corn until smooth, then add it back to the pot.

Stir and salt and pepper to taste.  Serve warm.

Here is a breakdown of the recipe in pictures.


I used a medium sized onion which gave me one cup of finely diced onion.  I prefer to dice onion by hand using a very sharp bladed knife.  I have never found a utensil that does an adequate job of dicing onion.  For me, it must be done by hand.


I like to keep a debris bowl close by when I am cooking.  It is quite helpful so that you are not running to and from the trash can with things like onion skins or egg shells.  Just pull a bowl from the cupboard and use that to catch those things which will be discarded after you have finished the preparation.


Here you see, exactly one cup of perfectly diced onion.


Here was our one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil which we used with one tablespoon of unsalted butter to cook the diced onion.


Into the pan with the butter.  Once this was melted, I added the olive oil.


In with the onions.  You will see in the picture above that the pan was hot when I added the onion.  You want the butter to be completely melted and that, along with the oil, should be hot when you add the onion.


Monitor the onions closely.  I have set the time to cook the onions in this recipe at five minutes, but watch them closely.  This picture was taken right at the end of the cooking.  While they are not brown, just a few more seconds and that would not have been the case.


Into the crock pot with the onions.


You can use the corn of your choice in the recipe.  If you have good, fresh corn on the cob, you could certainly cut if off the cob and use that along with the corn milk.  I used canned corn and it worked perfectly.  I suppose you could use frozen corn, but I am not a fan of frozen fruits or vegetables.  I do not really care for frozen food.  I use frozen berries and bananas in smoothies but that is only because they need to be frozen to give you the right consistency.


I quickly drained the corn and then added it to the pot.  Do not rinse.  I didn't even really let it drain completely.  I just poured it into the colander and then immediately into the crock pot.


Add the cream.


Honey.


Salt.


Freshly ground black pepper.


Give this all a stir to fully combine all the ingredients.  You now have your base.


Here we have cubed four ounces of cream cheese and three tablespoons of unsalted butter.


Add the cream cheese and butter to the top of the corn mixture.  Place the top on the cooker and set it to high.  Then set your timer.  I said in the beginning to cook it for 2 - 3 hours.  I cooked  this for 2-1/2 hours then removed the lid and tested to see if the corn was tender.  It was, but I placed the lid back on and cooked it for another 15 minutes.


At the end of the cooking time, this is what you will likely find when you remove the lid.  The butter will have melted and incorporated into the mixture during the cooking period.  You will need to stir in the cream cheese which will be very smooth and melted at this point.


Once you stir in the cream cheese it will look a little soupy, but not to worry.  We're not done.


I found this wonderful squeezable Greek yogurt.  I like that it was whole milk.  I wanted the flavor of this to be as rich and luxurious as it could be.


One cup of the Greek yogurt.


Into the pot with the yogurt


Stir to combine the yogurt into the mixture.


Once the yogurt is incorporated, use a large spoon or ladle to remove some of the corn mixture to the bowl of a food processor.  Like I said in the instructions, you can remove 1/4 - 1/3 of the mixture to the food processor.  I removed closer to 1/3 for this blog post.


Process the corn until it is smooth as in the picture above.


Return the smooth mixture back to the crock pot and stir in completely.


Here is a bowl of our delicious creamed corn with some spring onions sprinkled on top.


A second way to serve with julienne spring onion and a little sour cream.

You have never had creamed corn like this before.  It is the most divine I have ever tasted.  Serve it warm right from the crock.  It reheats well and will last for about two days in the refrigerator.  I hope you will try this recipe.  I know you will love it.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig