Tomato Rose

At a recent soiree, I put together a fruit and cheese plate as is usually done at these types of gatherings.  I thought I would try my hand at making a tomato rose for the plate and I was quite pleased with how it turned out.  Take a look.


I used a medium to large sized "winter" tomato.  You will see in the picture above that the rose I made has a rather pinkish hue.  Hothouse grown tomatoes often have this color.  Since I knew the tomato would be used as a garnish, I didn't mind using one of inferior quality.  However, for cooking, I generally spend a little extra and get good quality tomatoes that have been grown in the earth, if I can find them during the winter months.


For this presentation I used a small garnish knife to go around the complete outside of the tomato and removed as much of the skin as possible.  Once that was achieved, I simply turned the tomato skin inside-out to form the rose.  I placed a sprig of flat-leaf parsley on the plate and then situated the tomato rose on top.  A lovely way to dress up any serving dish.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig