A Tulip Follow Up and some Additional Work in the Garden

We talked about the tulips yesterday and in that post I was waiting for the parrot tulips to open. Guess what?  They opened.


I love parrot tulips.  I think of all the varieties I love parrot tulips the most.  These are just spectacular. Again, I wish I had gotten more of them last fall.  But, it's OK.  Fall will come again and when it does, I will be picking up more parrot tulips.  I think I will go to Merrifield Garden Center for them this year.  They always have the best selection.


I believe it was several weeks ago that we spoke of Dahlias and particularly of the dahlias grown by Betsy Bloomingdale at her Holmby Hills estate until her death last year.  In honor of Betsy, we have planted four dahlia bulbs at Crest Avenue.  These are the dinner plate sized dahlias which is what she grew.




It's the same routine as with nearly all bulbs.  Find a spot in the yard, dig a hole and place the bulbs inside.  Try to find a sunny spot for dahlias.


Cover the hole with the soil you just removed and water well.  I watered these in with Miracle Gro liquid fertilizer.


Since dahlia's grow four to five feet in height, I placed this round, iron trellis over the spot where they were planted.  This will give the support they will need once they are in full bloom.  We can refer to this as the dahlia tower.


One last thing during this session in the garden was to move two smallish hydrangea from the cedar planter to a spot in the island garden in the back yard.  This garden took a hit last year when we had the trees removed.  I am going to need to spend some time restructuring and planting to bring it back to life.  It will take some time, but with a little patience and creativeness, I think it will look even better than before.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig