Who Has Been Working in the Garden?

I have!  Let's take a look.


I ran out to Patuxent Nursery last week with my friend Lea and picked up some flowering plants for the deck and patio and some vegetables for the cedar planter.  This beautiful yellow and orange Lantana was included in my purchase.


Lantana likes full sun, as you can see on the tag above.  If you keep it well watered and in full sun it will thrive.


I moved this pot outdoors once the weather warmed up sufficiently.  There is a jade plant on one side of the pot.  On the other side was a small rabbit foot fern, which did not like the inside environment over the winter.  Ferns are particularly difficult to maintain inside during the winter.  The air in very dry and they thrive on humidity.  Unless you are super vigilant with misting, they just do not stand up well.  At least not here in the cold and dry, mid-Atlantic winters.


So I removed the fern and replaced it with lantana.  I love the glossy green leaves of lantana.  And of course the beautiful color.


I posted pictures of the parrot tulips last week once they were opened.  Here is another picture of them fully opened.  I think they are beautiful in most every stage of their maturity.  And I like that there was a stray yellow and orange bloom.  That adds such character to the garden.


Finally today, a look at the creeping jenny I planted last year.  I was not certain that these took.  At the end of fall last year, they looked pretty bad.  I was sure they were all dead.  However, that turned out not to be the case at all.  They are very healthy and they are doing quite well.  You only need a few plants to cover a large area with creeping jenny.  In the ground, it grows 4-8 inches tall, and spreads to 2 feet.  But the beauty is, it roots as it goes.  So one plant will spread to 2 feet, root again, and spread another 2 feet and so on.  It also tolerates shade well.  Small chartreuse leaves are just spectacular in the landscape and offer a different shade of green which is a nice accent color.   Of course the weeds are doing quite well too as you can see on the left side of this picture.  It is a constant battle as any homeowner knows.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig