Kitchen Drawer Organization

We made a trip to IKEA recently to check out their home organization department to see what products they have that would help us gain control of a couple large drawers in the kitchen cabinetry.  What we found was Raggisar and it worked like a charm.  Take a look.


We are fortunate here in the DC area that we have two - well, really three IKEA stores in close proximity to the city.  There is the store in the Virginia suburbs in Dale City.  Then the store in the Maryland suburbs located in College Park, MD.  And lastly there is a store a little north of Baltimore.  The store in Baltimore is the furthest away, so we rarely visit that store.  The College Park store is the closest and most convenient for me.


If you have not shopped at IKEA then your are not familiar with the fact that every item in the store has a rather incomprehensible name attached to it that is exclusive to the company.  So where do these crazy names come from?  Turns out they are part of a system created by IKEA founder Ingvar Kamprad who wanted to rely on a system of names and avoid relying on numbers.  Sounds good to me.

I found these drawer organizers in grey felt named Raggisar.  They are nice and sturdy and I thought they would work well in a couple kitchen drawers that needed to be organized.


They come in two sizes.  The larger having six compartments and the smaller having three compartments as you see above.  I was hoping that the drawers were large enough so that I could utilize both sizes in the space.  In the end I was able to do so with a little creativity.


The first thing I did was to remove everything that was in the drawer and wipe the inside clean.  Then I put down this gripping liner.


This non-adhesive gripping liner makes a great liner for shelves and drawers throughout the kitchen.  The little pillows that make up the liner provide a nice cushion to keep every day crystal and china stored safely.  It does grip the surface quite securely without any adhesive which is nice.  I highly recommend this premium liner for your kitchen cabinets.


Once the gripping liner was cut to size and down, I placed the first organizer in the drawer.  This is the large sized tray.


To my delight, the smaller, three compartment tray fit inside the drawer beside the large tray just perfectly.  The edges overlapped, but I rather liked that.  The two of them fit in the drawer width-wise just as I wanted.  There was some open space in the back of the drawer that I wanted to make use of, so I found my utility knife and went to work.


I wasn't sure if the material that made up the core of these trays would cut easily, but there was only one way to find out and that was to get out the utility knife, install a new blade, and give it a try.  I was very happy to find that the core material appeared to be just a foam core which was easily cut with a general utility knife.  I measured the length of the piece I needed to fill in behind the large tray and cut that to fit in the back of the drawer.


I did the same with the smaller tray.


When I was done, I had a drawer perfectly organized from front to back.  I was able to cut the pieces needed to place in the rear of the drawer so that we are completely utilizing the space.  We will be going back to IKEA to buy more of these trays in both sizes so that all of the drawers in the kitchen and throughout the apartment are perfectly organized.  I know you will be pleased if you decide to try this in your home organization plan.


No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig