Quick and Easy Meat Sauce

We made meat sauce recently, but we did it the easy way.  This is actually one of my favorite things to make.  It can be served over spaghetti or any type of pasta.  It could be served on sesame seed hamburger buns.  Or it can be served by the bowl.  I love it and I know you will too.  You will also love how easy it is to make.





We started with  one pound of ground beef.  Well, 1.135 lb. if you want to be particular.  This time I bought the extra lean at 92% lean.  I do not always do that for every dish I make because I want some fat in the meat to add flavor.  However, for this recipe I decided to go lean.







Into a non-stick skillet over medium high heat.  Cook until the meat is brown but not charred.  You do not have to use a non-stick skillet.  You could certainly use cast iron.  I just purchased several pieces of cast iron cookware which we will be reviewing in the upcoming days and weeks.






This is the perfect brown.  I would say this is the perfect brown on ground beef for most any recipe that calls for ground beef.  Remember, it will continue to cook once it is off the heat and generally when cooking with ground beef, you remove it from the heat, drain off the fat, and then incorporate it into a mix of something else where it is further cooked either on the range top or in the oven.  So there is no need to overcook it the first time around.






At 92% lean, I was somewhat surprised that there was as much fat in the pan as you see above.  So, I moved the ground beef to a colander to drain off the excess fat before continuing with our quick and easy meat sauce recipe.






While the ground beef was draining I opened a 24 ounce can of Hunt's Meat Flavored Pasta Sauce.  Key words - It says "Meat Flavored" pasta sauce.  There is no actual meat in it or if there is it is miniscule.  I particularly like this pasta sauce from Hunt's because it is not sweet.  So many pasta sauces are sweet.  I just cannot stand that.  I do not want sweet pasta sauce.  This sauce is thick and hearty and rather tangy, which is a much better combination than any sauce that is sweet.






I returned the ground beef to the skillet over very low heat.  I brought the temperature back up just slightly.






Then, in with the entire contents of the can of pasta sauce.






I gave it all a good stir to fully incorporate, then increased the heat until it just started to bubble.  Once it starts, turn off the heat and remove the skillet right away.  You do not want it to burn, even slightly.  If it does, then the taste will be ruined.






After it cooled completely, I transferred it to a glass storage container and placed it into the refrigerator.  It was good the day I made it but it got better with each passing day.  I'm afraid this time around it did not make its way to a plate or bowl of pasta.  I ended up reheating portions of it several nights and just eating as a meal.  This is delicious and quick and easy to make.  I now you will love it.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig