Baked Potatoes - It's What's for Dinner!

I like baked potatoes.  They are easy to make in the microwave and they are filling and full of nutrients and fiber.  They can be a little heavy on the carbs, but not so much that I shy away from them.



I found this packet of four potatoes recently while in the market.  It had been a while since I had a baked potato, so I decided to buy them.


Now that the weather is warming, I do not use the oven any more than necessary.  Once warm weather arrives for good, which should happen in a couple weeks, I will not use the oven again until fall.  It will be very light fare for the duration of the spring and summer season and we will return to heavier foods baked in the oven in the fall.  So I baked these in the microwave.  I pricked the skin in several areas with a fork then wrapped the potato in paper toweling and placed it in the microwave.  It generally takes 5 - 7 minutes to fully cook the potato in the microwave.  These were large russet potatoes, so I set the timer for 7 minutes.  When I take the potato our of the microwave I just "slam" it on the countertop.  If it is done, it will look like the picture above.


I do not get too crazy with toppings.  As I said above, baked potatoes are a healthy choice so you don't want to pile on too many fatty toppings and end up cancelling out all of the good things you are getting from the potato.  I added a little salt and pepper, a pat of butter, light sour cream and freshly snipped chives.  A taste sensation.  Very delicious and very simple to make.  It couldn't be any simpler.  Now, I'm not saying you have to eat every baked potato responsibly.  I'll admit that there are times when I load them up, but that is usually on a "cheat" day.  On those days I'll add all of the above and maybe some crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese and maybe even a touch of Thousand Island dressing.  However you decide to eat it, baked potatoes are delicious.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig