Fresh 'n Crisp for the Produce Drawer

I like, and frequently purchase, bags of Fresh Express shredded lettuce from market.



It says on the label "finely shredded iceberg lettuce for tacos, sandwiches and salad" and they are correct.  I like the consistency.  I know, you are saying, "well he could do the same thing at home with a head of lettuce and a lettuce knife".  I have tried and it never turns out exactly the same as this shredded lettuce from Fresh Express.  So I pay a little more and buy it like this.  The problem is that it does not last very long after you open the bag.  It starts to brown very quickly.  I have tried transferring it to Ziploc bags and squeezing out all of the air and that still does not work.  So I thought I would give this Fresh 'n Crisp contraption a try in the produce drawer of the refrigerator.


There are all sort of gadgets and storage containers on the market all who claim to keep your produce fresher for longer.  I have not tried all of them so I cannot say whether any or all of them work.  This will be my first time trying something like this, so we'll see how it goes.


Here is the egg shaped pod outside of the packaging.  There is a dessicant pack inside.  Dessicant is a substance that removes humidity from the air and provides a dry environment unlike humectant which is used to keep things moist.


I dropped it in this produce drawer.  The lettuce is in the back and we have some green seedless grapes, celery hearts (I do make those myself from a regular bunch of celery), and some Campari tomatoes.  I also set the humidity selector on this drawer to its lowest setting.  Hopefully with the low humidity setting in the refrigerator and the fresh 'n crisp we will have better luck with keeping not only the shredded lettuce fresher for longer, but everything in the drawer fresher for longer.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig