Ground Beef with Taco Seasoning

A few weeks ago I posted that we had taco night.  I decided I wanted to do it again but without the taco shells, either hard or soft.  So I decided to do just ground beef with taco seasoning.


This time I had 2.35 pounds of ground beef.


Into the pan with it and then I used a heavy duty plastic spatula to break it up.


As we talked before, you just want to brown the ground beef.  Don't overcook it or you will be disappointed.  Believe me, I've done it and it is not good.  Do not let it stay in the pan too long.  Once all the pink is gone, remove it to a strainer.


Here the ground beef had just turned brown, so I drained it.


I use a large, rectangular strainer sitting in a 9" x 13" glass baking dish.  The strainer has little feet which lift it up off the bottom of the baking dish.  This is perfect for draining fat from ground beef.  I would never drain the fat into the kitchen sink.  What an awful mess you would have.


Let it drain for just about a minute and then return it to the skillet.


We drained a lot of fat into the baking dish.  Better this end up here rather than in me.  Although, we do need to consume some fat in our diet, I don't think I'll be any worse off for not eating this.


We returned the meat to the skillet and we added 1-1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup taco seasoning mix for a little over two pounds of ground beef.  For a standard one pound package, reduce this to 3/4 cups water and 1/4 cup taco seasoning mix.


Bring that mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.


This was the finished product.  I divided this into two containers, each with a tiny fraction over a pound of ground beef in each.  This will be perfect for dinner during the week.  Heat as much as you want and add a little sour cream, taco sauce, chopped tomatoes and onions, and shredded lettuce. No need for hard or soft taco shells.  You can make this on Sunday and put it in the fridge.  Then you have dinner for at least a couple nights for a family, and several nights if you are single.


McCormick makes these large containers of Taco Seasoning mix.  I keep a bottle in the pantry at all times.  A healthy, high protein meal with lots of fresh vegetables.  What could be wrong with that. And so simple and inexpensive to make.  This is a true winner.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig