HUM by Verizon

What on earth is HUM by Verizon?  It is a device that installs in your car and does a number of things to keep you safe.  When it was first introduced to me, I was intrigued.  So I did a little more research and decided I wanted to give this a try.  Read on.


As defined by the HUM website, "HUM by Verizon lets you add new care technology to almost any car.  It helps you prevent breakdowns, save money and get faster roadside and emergency assistance. Plus, the HUM app puts all this in the palm of your hand."  (HUM is compatible with most vehicles 1996 and newer.)  That sounds reassuring.  Above is a picture of the box you will receive with your HUM device.


Cute message inside the box when you first open it.


Of course, as with any electronic these days, you get the obligatory Quick Start Guide.


Everything neatly packed so it arrives undamaged.


And here is the system.  From left to right, a portable power adapter for the car, the speaker which clips to your sun visor, power charging cord, and the OBD (on-board diagnostics) reader, which usually plugs in under the dash on the driver's side.


Reading the instructions more thoroughly, I found out that after you charge the speaker for at least 20 minutes and get everything installed, the speaker will begin talking to you after you have driven for a short distance.


Here, the speaker on my desk charging.


In the car, the speaker is attached to the visor.  I placed it on the visor on the drivers side, but either will do.


The OBD is plugged in under the dash of my car on the drivers side.  Plug in the OBD when the car is not running.


I know this might all sound rather like Big Brother.  And maybe it is.  But we must take the good with the bad in our evolution.  Yes, can I be tracked now with great ease from a government agency. Probably so.  But I'm not doing anything illegal so why worry about that.  Alternatively, can I be tracked with great ease from a government agency.  Probably so.  And if I am in danger or injured or sick and need help right away, how wonderful that I can get that help quickly.

I will report back and let you know how this works in the next few weeks after I've had a chance to interact with it.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig