Our Taco Supper on Halloween

I mentioned in the earlier post today that I made tacos while Steven took care of the trick or treaters on Saturday evening.  Have you made tacos at home lately?  I had not for the longest time.  I picked up two pounds of ground beef on Saturday while running errands and put it to good use in tacos that evening.  They are so incredibly easy to make and not bad for you.  Read on.


I started by prepping the tomatoes first.  I found this container of blended flavors of tomatoes which included red, yellow, orange and green.  They were fantastic.


I chopped the entire pint (except for a few that were overripe).  I quartered each tomato, then cut them in half again.  I prefer them smallish.


To save time on shredding lettuce, I bought a bag of Iceberg Shreds.  I buy these bags quite often. I use this in salads and on sandwiches, and this week, tacos.  I prefer shredded lettuce on a sandwich. It is annoying to order a sandwich from a deli and sit down to eat it only to find someone in the kitchen has just pulled a leaf of lettuce off the head and thrown it on the sandwich.  If I find that, I remove it and most times do not return.


One medium sized onion, coarsely chopped.


I placed these three ingredients into a bowl and placed the bowl into the refrigerator to let them chill.


I chose a glass bowl with a tightly sealed lid.  If you do not have a glass bowl with a lid, a piece of Saran Wrap would work perfectly.


You cannot have tacos without taco sauce.  Mild works for us these days.


And, of course, shredded cheese of some flavor.  This cheddar jack is nice.


So I assembled three ramekins of condiments - taco sauce, shredded cheese and sour cream.


We used two taco dinners from Taco Bell.  One soft dinner.


And one crunchy dinner.  I prefer the crunchy, but Steven likes the soft.  So we did both.


The hard taco dinner shells, taco seasoning mix and mild sauce.


 The foil packet here holds the soft tortillas, another seasoning mix and mild sauce.


This two pound package of ground beef was perfect for our dinner.
  

I cut it in half.  One half I made use the taco seasoning mix.  The other I just browned in a little melted butter and salt.  That way we had a choice of which meat we would like to use.  Or you could mix a little of both for a taste sensation.


Into the pan with the first batch.  You just want to lightly brown it.  You do not want to burn it.  Do not leave it in so long that it starts to form a crust.  If that happens, you have cooked it too long. Lightly brown only.


I used the container the meat came in to drain it once it was removed from the flame.  This is an easy way to deal with the disposal of the fat.


And finally, a taco salad.  Steven decided to use one of the soft tortillas, torn in pieces, in the bottom of the bowl and then to add his favorite toppings.  We had forgotten just how delicious it is to make tacos at home.  I doubt we will wait as long to do it again.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig