Another way to make Omelets in the Oven

I keep experimenting with different ways to make omelets in the oven rather than on the stove top.  I never have good luck making omelets on the stove top.  They tear.  They burn.  I have never mastered the technique.  But I can make them in the oven.  And they are quite delicious that way.  I've used a 9" x 9" glass baking dish and that works wonderfully.  Recently I tried another baking dish.  Read on to see how that turned out.


For this experiment, I used a glass loaf pan as cooking vessel. Preparation of the pan and the eggs is incredibly simple.  So simple, in fact, that I will not post it on the new recipe page, but will give you the steps right here.  First, scramble two eggs and add about a tablespoon of water to the eggs.  Add salt and white pepper to taste.  (I prefer white pepper.  If you prefer black pepper, then by all means use that.)  Spray the loaf pan with cooking spray.  Make sure to coat bottom and sides.  Heat the oven to 375 degrees.  Pour the egg mixture into the loaf pan. Once the oven comes to temperature, place the loaf pan with the egg mixture on the middle rack of your oven and set the timer for 5 minutes.  As oven temperatures vary, check at 3 minutes.  You may go under 5 minutes or your oven may take longer than 5 minutes.  You will know it is done by the look. When you shake the dish the egg mixture should be firm.  Remove from the oven and add some shredded cheese and bacon bits; whatever you would like.  But keep the ingredients to a minimum. Otherwise it will not roll up easily. I used a large spatula to remove it from the loaf pan.  I started at one end and rolled it up the short way.


A little shredded cheddar and some finely chopped parsley.


On top, I added chopped spring onions and sliced sun-dried tomatoes.  Again, to your liking.  You could saute mushrooms in butter and add those on top.  You could make hollandaise sauce and drizzle that on top.  A spoonful of creme fraiche and a little caviar?  Whatever you like.


Inside, a masterpiece to be sure.  A delicious Saturday or Sunday morning breakfast served on the deck with freshly squeezed orange juice and bowl of fresh fruit and toasted baguette with fresh cream butter.  Possibly even a bloody mary for those inclined.  Or a mimosa.

If I had company, I would use two loaf pans, making two omelets at the same time, adjusting the cooking time upward as needed.  You could make them ahead and keep them warm on a covered plate on a food warmer.  We'll talk more about food warmers in the near future.  Wonderful invention for those of us who entertain.  And not terribly expensive.

Try Omelet in a Loaf Pan.  I think you will enjoy.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig