My Trip to MOM's

Have you ever been to MOM?  That stands for "Mom's Organic Market."  We have two stores very near us; one in College Park, MD and the other, newly opened, on New York Avenue in DC.  This area in DC is now referred to as Ivy City.  They moved into this new location on New York Avenue in the old Hecht's warehouse that is under renovation.  Lots of new retail is moving in and there will soon be luxury condos in an adjoining building.  So exciting.  The store in College Park is small.  I think there is a total of three aisles.  But there are all sorts of interesting and healthy choices so that makes it fun.  They have locations in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and the District of Columbia. For those in Pennsylvania, you will travel to Bryn Mawr to visit.  And for those in Virginia, locations include Herndon, Alexandria and Merrifield.


Mom's Organic Market in College Park.  I love their logo.  This is a family owned business which opened in 1987.  It appeals to a rather eclectic crowd, myself included.  You see all types; older, hippy-types from the sixties, my era of baby-boomers and the young, environmentally conscious set.


I like shopping at MOM's.  I think we all want to do our part, in whatever capacity, to protect the earth and our environment.  If shopping at MOM's helps in any way with that, then I think it is a good thing.


As you enter the store you are engulfed in their wonderful produce section.  This gentleman was busy trying to decide which of the beautiful and vast selection of fruits he would purchase.


On the opposite side of this area were more delicious fresh fruits for you to feast your eyes on.


A little further down were the vegetables.  These bins full of brightly colored peppers was so visually appealing.  Even if you did not come in with the intention of buying peppers, you would want to do so after seeing this display.


Applegate sliced turkey breast was on my list this week and I was happy to find it at MOM's. Applegate sliced meats are without added preservatives.  Actually, the company has a wonderful philosophy about how the animals are raised and cared for before going to market.  You can read more about them at www.applegate.com.
✓Casein Free   ✓Dairy Free   ✓Gluten Free ✓Sugar Free   ✓Fat Free  
Animal Raising PracticesNatural
Animals are never administered antibioticsX
Animals are never administered growth hormonesX
Animals are fed 100% vegetarian diet and never fed animal by-productsX
Animals are raised humanely and given room to engage in natural behaviorsX
IngredientsNatural
No chemical nitrates or nitritesX
No artificial ingredientsX
No fillersX
No GMO IngredientsX


You can also find their products at Whole Foods Market and in the grocery section of many Target stores.  I have been giving consideration to going to a complete plant-based diet over the past few months. I believe it is a healthier way to eat and I have become more concerned over how the animals are raised and treated in factory farms.  The idea of killing another living being for my consumption is becoming more disturbing to me every day.


Water.  It is on the list every week.  I drink sparkling water only.  It does not need to be flavored, but some flavored waters I like very much.  The Poland Spring Lemon and Mandarin Orange of two of my favorites.  Wegman's also has private label sparkling water in a variety of flavors which is excellent.  Perrier and Pellegrino are also favorites, but they are very expensive and I do not find either of either more quenching then Poland Springs or Wegman's brand. 


This was a new item I had never seen before.  I like popcorn and I love avocado.  So what could be better together, right?  It is quite delicious.  The avocado flavor is very mild.  If you did not know it was popped in avocado oil, you would not know.  It is a treat and I would/will buy this again.


Finally, a bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar pills.  Drinking apple cider vinegar is not something most of us want to do.  I do not.  But I want the advantages that come with consuming apple cider vinegar. So I bought a bottle.  Of course, you must make the choice of whether or not you will take ACV capsules.  I hear they help keep blood sugar levels low, so I decided to give them a try.

So there you have it.  A quick Monday morning walk through Mom's Organic Market.  If you are near one of their stores, or if you want to make a day trip out of it, I think you would be happy with your choice to visit.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig