A Birthday Visit with my Mother

It seems like just last week I posted about our visit with my mother and sister for Mother's Day. Now, it is nearly Independence Day.  Unbelievable.  We will leave early Friday morning for a visit with my mother, this time to celebrate her birthday.  Her actual birthday is July 7, but we will celebrate on Friday since we cannot be there on Tuesday.  One reason being that I have two doctors' appointments that day. Ugh!!  So I picked up a little gift and a card for her.  Read on.


As the saying goes, "big things come in little boxes."  I hope she will feel that is true when she opens her present.


This time, blue sapphire earrings.  They are really beautiful.  I have had them for several months.  I saw them somewhere and bought them and now I do not remember where I found them.  I guess it doesn't really matter.  What matters is they are beautiful and I hope she enjoys them.


They arrived in this little white box with the standard cushion.  But as you can see, they are all over the place inside the box.  You don't want to present your gift of beautiful earrings with them rolling around in the box.


So I removed the backs and pushed the posts through the cushion and then secured them in place by reattaching the backs.  Now.  That is a nice, clean way to show them off in the box.


The birthday card this year could not have been more perfect if I had written it myself.  And it was the first card I picked up.


The message was perfect.  Not too wordy.  Cards have a tendency to be a little "wordy" for me.  I want a card to say what it needs to say and be done with it.  This card expresses my feelings perfectly without a lot of nonsense.  I do love her for who she is and I do hope she has a very happy birthday.


Time to wrap the earrings.  I liked this lively striped tissue.  Small boxes can be wrapped in tissue with no problem.  Larger boxes, I'm not such of fan of using tissue as the choice of wrap.


This turned out very nice.  A perfectly wrapped box.  I used one sheet of tissue, folded several times so there were many layers of tissue.  I cut out a small section of the tissue - just enough for what I needed for this small box. The rest was placed back in the bag to be used for another birthday celebration.


Here, sitting atop the card.  I do not feel the need to add any sort of adornment to this package.  I rather like it plainly wrapped.


This card was one of the over-sized cards which need extra postage.  You know, they print that in the upper right corner of the envelope.  It's fine if you are mailing the card and placing postage stamps over the "extra postage" message.  But if you are delivering the card in person, as I will be, who wants to see that?  So I put a sticker over it.

 
There.  Much better to have the Happy B-Day sticker in the corner than reading an extra postage required message from the card manufacturer.

So, we're all set for Friday.  At least as far as the gift and card.  We will be making carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting to take with us.  And a Chicken Rotini casserole.  I must be honest and tell you that the carrot cake cupcake and cream cheese frosting recipe is from Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa.  I just love Ina.  I met her briefly at a book signing in Annapolis, MD a few years ago and I will see her again in October of this year at the Lisner Auditorium on the campus of George Washington University in Washington, DC.  I can't wait.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig