Preparations for Steven's Birthday Party

We recently celebrated Steven's birthday with a small gathering at Dewey Street.  As usual, there was much to do to get everything ready for the soiree.


One of the first things on the list was to choose a good cheese for the cheese board.  I decided I would go to Dean & Deluca for this.  Isn't their cheese cooler wonderful!  They have anything you could possible want.  And, you can sample before deciding.  So, I sampled three different offerings and then made my purchase.  I decided on a Saint-Andre cheese.  As taken from Wikipedia:

Saint-André is a brand of French triple crème cow's milk cheese with a powdery white, bloomy skin of mold, in the form of a 200g cylinder, 6cm in diameter and 5cm high. Originally developed and manufactured by the Soulié cheese factory in Villefranche-de-RouergueAveyron, it is now produced in VireCalvados. It has a soft buttery texture, tangy edible rind, and tastes like an intense version of Brie. Cream is added to the cheese during manufacture, and the curing process lasts approximately 30 days.
The cheese is highly perishable and should be consumed within a week of its purchase. The fat content of Saint-André is so exceptionally high (about 75%) it can make a white wine taste sour and metallic: a crust of baguette and a lightbeer or simply a slice of pear are suggested by the manufacturer as better complements.[1]


A little while later, I was presented with this wonderful wedge of Saint-Andre cheese.  It was extraordinary.  This item crossed off my list, it was time to move on to the cake.  What would we do about the cake?


I made my way around to the opposite side of the cheese cooler to find this divine cooler filled with all sort of delectables.  The marble cake looked delicious (lower left) with the beautiful chocolate ribbon on top.  But I did not want all of that left over.  It's almost time to fit into swim trunks.  I don't think I need to say anything more.  So I kept searching.


And what did I find!  These really cute little Black Forest Cakes.  A single serving each.  So I bought three; one for the birthday boy, one for Lea, and one for me.  They were scrumptious.  They had cherries in the middle.  To die for!


So I now had the Saint-Andre cheese and the birthday cakes.  What next?


There was still room in the bag.  So I continued on.


I ran into HomeGoods which is next door to Dean & Deluca and found this really cute frame. HomeGoods has everything.  And the one on M Street in Georgetown is even more fabulous than any store I have ever shopped in.  This ended up with a picture of me and Bev in it as we were on our way to Bob and Bette's wedding last August.


And finally, the flowers.  These actually came from Dean & Deluca also.  The leaves of the lilies were a little dusty but I cleaned them up before the party.

The evening of the party was wonderful.  Check back during the week for more pictures.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig