The MOST Delicious Banana Bread Recipe

CLICK HERE for Printable Recipe for Banana Bread from At Home with John Newman

It has been a while since I made banana bread so I went searching for my recipe when I found the bananas looking quite speckled.  This is an easy recipe to put together and I think you will enjoy it immensely.  There is no banana bread mix you can purchase that will produce a better tasting loaf.  I hope you will use this recipe to make banana bread for your family.


Start off with 1/3 cup butter, softened to room temperature and one cup of sugar.  The butter must be softened to room temperature.  If you use cold butter straight from the refrigerator it will not blend with the sugar to give you the consistency you need for this recipe.  And use real butter.  You could use margarine, but don't.


Blend until fully incorporated.


Add two eggs.  We used brown, organic eggs.


Give all of this another mix.  You notice I am using a hand mixer for this recipe.  I prefer using a hand mixer whenever possible.  I feel it gives me more control over how all the ingredients in a recipe are blended together.  I have a very nice Kitchen Aid stand mixer which sits in the cabinet.  I usually always go for my hand mixer.  So, if you were thinking you needed an expensive stand mixer to be a great chef, you don't.  Look at me.  I'm a great chef and I use a hand mixer!!!


Here, our speckled bananas.  Four of them.  I don't like to eat them when have reached this point of ripeness.  Actually, I prefer to eat green bananas.  Once they start to get even the slightest bit ripe I do not eat them.  I'll use them for smoothies or cut up in cereal.  These were well past being used for anything other than banana bread, which they were perfectly ripe for.


The recipe calls for the bananas to be "mashed."  If the bananas you are using for this recipe are as ripe as the ones above, just slice them and put them in the bowl and use the hand mixer to mash them.


Here is the result of doing that.  The mixer just incorporates the sliced banana right into the other ingredients.  So easy and less messy.


Add 1/3 cup water.


Add the flour.  As noted in the recipe you will print, do not use self-rising flour in this recipe.  We will be adding baking soda and baking powder in the next few steps.


Mix in the flour thoroughly.


Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda.


Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.


Add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder.


And 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.  You could use another chopped nut if you like.  I've only used walnuts because they are delicious in this bread, so that is why I suggest walnuts.  If you want to get creative and use a different kind, by all means do so.  And then send me an email and let me know how it turned it.  I'd love to hear about it.


All of the above ingredients added.


At this point I put the hand mixer away and combined the last of the ingredients with a large handled spoon.


I decided to switch things up a little.  Instead of using the traditional loaf pan, I used a nine inch square baking dish.  It worked perfectly.  We just had a loaf that was shaped a little differently.


Into the baking dish and then into a 350 degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Oven temperatures vary, so you could start checking with a wooden pick at 45 minutes if your oven runs a little hot.  You do not want to over-bake it because it will be dry and tough.  Nobody wants a dry, tough banana bread.


And this is what you end up with.  A beautiful loaf of banana bread that you proudly made yourself.


I don't think this could have turned out any better.


After it cooled for awhile, I started slicing.  Traditionally  we would suggest that you let it cool completely before slicing.  But sometimes you want a slice while it is warm.  So let it cool for 10 or 15 minutes and then slice.  It will still be a warm and you can enjoy it with a little butter, or ....


A little or, a lot of cream cheese frosting.  Or you can just have a slice plain.  You make that call.  It is really delicious without anything added.

So there you have our recipe for Banana Bread.  Give it a try!


A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig