We Transplanted the Fuchsia

You will recall early in spring, we potted a beautiful fuchsia in a hanging basket on the deck.  It was resplendent.  As the days of spring passed and we entered the hot and humid days of summer, I expected it would flourish.  It did not.  I water religiously.  I used Miracle Gro liquid fertilizer. Nothing helped.  It was just miserable.  Fuchsia likes a shady spot.  I thought the spot where I hung it on the deck provided enough shade so it would be happy there.  Obviously, that was not the case. So, we moved it and put something new in the hanging pot.  Read on.


This poor fuchsia.  I had great expectations.  But it just was not in a happy place.  I decided it was time to get it in its happy place.


I went on a search and found this pot that was not being used this summer.  It had become overgrown with weeds.  So I removed the weeds and amended the soil.


I use Miracle Gro Potting Mix.  I am a big fan of all the Miracle Gro products.  They should hire me as their spokesman.


I removed the fuchsia from the hanging pot and transplanted it to the larger pot.  Then I placed it in a very shady spot on the deck next to the outdoor lounging sofa.  The crepe myrtle, which is situated just on the other side of the deck, keeps this spot in shade all day long.  Not nearly all day long.  All day long.


I am guilty of doing what a lot of us do and that is, placing plants where we want them, rather than where they need to be placed.  I know that fuchsia prefer shady spots.  But I wanted it in a hanging basket at a certain place on the deck.  I rationalized in my mind that it would get enough shade in the hanging pot because "well, it's not in direct sun all day."  And that was true.  But even a little bit of direct sun is not good for a fuchsia.  So here it is in its new home in a shady corner.


The fuchsia was now removed from the hanging pot and it was time to plant something else there.


I decided on a Begonia.  Begonia semperflorens.  I love them.  They are hardy.  And I found an absolute beautiful specimen at the Lowe's Garden Center.


Here it is in all its beauty, still in the plastic pot from the garden center.  Regal.


I carefully removed it from the plastic pot and transplanted it into the hanging pot.  I amended the soil with Miracle Gro potting mix.


Let me forewarn you now, you will lose some blooms when transplanting to a hanging pot or basket. It's not a big deal.  If the plant is cared for well, you will gain many more blooms later on.  So don't panic if a few blooms fall off.  Throw them in the compost pile and keep on going.


Finally, our beautiful new begonia semperflorens in its new home in the hanging pot on the deck.  I expect great things from this begonia over the coming weeks and months.  By Labor Day I expect this to be super luscious!!  And the same for the fuchsia now that is has found a new home. 

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig