A New Way to Dye Easter Eggs

We used a different technique to dye our Easter eggs this year.  When I was a youngster, there was but one choice at Easter for egg dyeing.  PAAS.  These kits contained several tablets of various color. You dropped the colored tablets into individual glasses which contained vinegar to allow the color tablet to dissolve.  Then you added water and stirred to combine.  Finally, you set about dyeing your hard-boiled eggs by immersing them into the water and vinegar solution until they reached the hue you wanted.


This box cover seems familiar to me from the days of my youth.  That was quite a deal at ten cents. And don't forget, according to the box under "HAVE MORE FUN," Paas offered "more brilliant colors, gayer cut-outs, transfers, ideas!"  So who didn't want to use PAAS?  Let's move on.

Over the years other brands of egg dye appeared, all with more or less the same results.  I wanted to try something new this year.  Read on to see what I did.


We started with a bag of long grain rice.  Well, extra long grain, but long grain would work just fine.


We needed just one-half cup of rice for each color choice.


Next item, gel food colors.


We poured the one-half cup of rice into a plastic container.  Any plastic container you have with a snap on lid will work.


Next we added our gel food color.  For the light brown eggs we used 14 drops of red, 6 drops of yellow and 4 drops of blue.  After adding the color, we snapped on the lid and shook the container until the rice turned to the desired color.


In goes the egg.  These are hard-boiled eggs.  Make sure you hard-boil the eggs first or you will end up with a really big mess.  Snap on the lid and shake, shake, shake!!!  Keep shaking and moving the container around until the egg reaches the desired shade.  Lighter colored egg, less shaking.  Darker colored egg, more shaking.


Once I was done with the coloring of the eggs, I found these little nest baskets which are made of wire.  I have a set of three of these.  I thought they would be a perfect way to display our Easter eggs.


But first, I decided we needed to add some crinkle cut to the wire baskets.  Just a little extra touch to give them the perfect look.


I went with a neutral color of crinkle cut so that the brilliant color of the eggs would really be apparent.


And this is what we ended up with.  The first set of eggs were teal colored.  I do not recall what the ratio of drops was to achieve this hue.  I know that I used green and blue only.  It tells you on the box how many drops of each color to use to achieve the color you want.  And, of course, you can adjust it to your liking.


And the second set were these beautiful light brown colored eggs.  I cannot tell you how positively delighted I was with this form of Easter egg coloring.  I really, really liked the speckled finish.  It was much easier and less messy than colored tablets in water and vinegar solution and all the dripping and little wire handles used to dip the eggs in the color bending and not holding the egg, ... UGH!!!! Using this method, the eggs come out of the plastic container dry.  You just reach in with your fingers and extract them and they are ready to go.

I think you will really enjoy this method of dyeing eggs for Easter.  Or, if you are having a brunch, you could make your main dishes and set them out on a board, get your bloody mary's mixed, get the mimosas ingredients ready and set out a bowl of colored hard boiled eggs for your guests as an added option with their french toast and strata and freshly sliced fruit.  I love hard-boiled eggs.  I will sometimes have one as a snack.  And I have set colored, hard-boiled eggs out in a bowl at brunch and they are always a hit.  So remember how to dye your eggs in this new and fun and less messy way!!

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig